Program for the Study of Developed Shorelines
Science. Policy. Education. Outreach. Coastal.
Archived PSDS Articles & Media (pre-2012)
- Sept 16: Elwha River Blog: Morning Speaker: Rob Young
- Sept 1: Raleigh News & Observer: Missing the storm for the waves by Rob Young
- June 20: Raleigh News & Observer: Legislators vs. shifting sands by Rob Young & Orrin Pilkey
- Jan 1: Raleigh News & Observer: Coastal structures’ strain on taxpayers by Rob Young
- Letter to Florida FDEP about beach nourishment | Click Here!
- June 11: New York Times: A Sand Trap in the Gulf by Rob Young | Click Here!
- June 3: Yale Environment 360: Under Pressure to Block Oil, A Rush to Dubious Projects by Rob Young | Click Here!
- March 14: Greensboro News Record: Sea level at N.C. coast could be 7 feet higher by 2100 by Orrin Pilkey and Rob Young | Click Here!
- Feb 5: Newark Star-Ledger: Global warming: Shoreline changes as planet warms by Orrin Pilkey & Rob Young | Click Here!
- Feb 4: Atlanta Journal Constitution: Don’ confuse weather, climate by David Bush & Rob Young | Click Here!
NEWSPAPERS & OP-EDS
- Sept 28: Fox News: Outer Banks Rebuilding After Irene by John Robert
- Sept 11: Dredging Today: Western Carolina University Students Help Analyze Irene’s Damage on NC Outer Banks
- Aug 31: USA Today: Erosion control projects help beaches stand up to Irene by Greg Toppo
- Aug 28: Wilmington Star News: Hurricane Irene opens new inlets on Hatteras Island, AP
- Dec: Smithsonian: Preparing for a New River featuring Rob Young
- Aug 21: The State (SC): River cane could stand tall again, Restoration focuses on habitat, basket craft revival by Sammy Fretwell
- May 24: Philadelphia Inquirer: U.S. allocates record amount for beach projects by Anthony R. Wood
- April 25: Philadelphia Inquirer: Should nation’s taxpayers be paying for beach-fill efforts? by Anthony R. Wood
- March 30: The State (SC): Changes possible in beach setback law by Sammy Fretwell
- March 17: Macon County News: Rivercane transplanting under way by Mike Kesselring
- Sept 14: Smithsonian: On the Elwha, a New Life When the Dam Breaks by Abigail Tucker
- March 2: American Association for the Advancement of Science: Climate Scientists Cautiously Hopeful After a Day of Congressional Visits by Amy Maxmen
- Feb 28: Wilmington Star News: Don’t damage beaches, Editorial
- Feb 26: Vancouver Sun: It’s sink or swim for coastal town by Bruce Henderson (The Charlotte Observer)
- Feb 27: Charlotte Observer: As North Carolina beaches erode, debate rises by Bruce Henderson
- Feb 20: Jacksonville Daily News: Legislation may allow for terminal groins by Jannette Pippin
- Feb 19: Jacksonville Daily News: Geologist: Sea level is rising by Jannette Pippin
- Feb 16: Smoky Mountain News: Help restore Cherokees’ rivercane
- Feb 11: Cherokee One Feather: Volunteers needed to help with WCU’s Rivercane Restoration Project
- Jan 27: On Earth: Mapping the Grassroots by Alan Burdick
- Jan 22: Asheville Citizen-Times: State should plan for rising sea levels by Bruce Henderson
- Jan 29: Fayetteville Observer: Sumberged- Sea-level rise demands new plans, action
- Jan 18: Claims Journal: North Carolina Officials Planning for Rising Sea Levels
- Jan 16: WRAL: Rising sea water threaten NC’s delicate coastline
- Jan 18: Charlotte Observer: Rising waters threaten the coast of North Carolina by Bruce Henderson
- Jan 16: Asheville Citizen-Times: Western Carolina University prof’s book “Rising Sea” gets paperback release
- Jan 16: Burlington Times: Rising sea level threatens N.C. coast
- Jan 5: Independent Weekly: Bobby’s Boondoggle?
- Dec 19: Charleston Post Courier: Renourishment hasn’t held up by Bo Petersen
- Nov 29: Charleston Post Courier: Living on the sea: She builds a career on shifting sands by Bo Petersen
- Nov 26: New York Times Blog: Explaining Norfolk’s Creeping Tides by Leslie Kaufman
- Nov 17: Houma Today: Houma firm pitches rock-barrier idea by Katherine Schmidt
- Aug 6: Houma Today: Monkeying with the coast by Michael Gorman
- Aug 5: Macon County News: WCU scientists warn that Gulf will be permanently scarred by BP spill by Christopher Carpenter
- Aug 5: Chronicle of Higher Eduction: In Oil Spill, University Scientists’ Expertise Was Dumped by Paul Basken
- July 24: Miami Herald: Spill demands technical, not political, fix by Fred Grimm
- July 23: Newsweek: Stop the Insanity by Sharon Begley
- July 23: Christian Science Monitor: Scientists team up to attack Louisiana’s Gulf oil spill berm plan by Pete Spotts
- July 21: Science Insider: Scientists to Thad Allen: Stop ‘Massive Re-Engineering’ of Gulf Coast by Erik Stokstad
- July 14: New Orleans Times Picayune: Photos tell different stories about sand berm effort to block Gulf of Mexico oil spill by Paul Rioux
- July 9: New Orleans Time Picayune: In Louisiana, politics keeps getting in the way of science by Jarvis DeBerry
- June 23: Smoky Mountain News: Coastal Crusaders, WCU Shoreline program guards the coast by Bibeka Shrestha
- June 23: Asheville Citizen Times: Asheville area people help with Gulf Coast oil spill cleanup by Nanci Bompey
- June 15: Lo Coast Post: Bobby Knows Best! by Len Bahr, PhD
- June 14: Independent Weekly: Bobby’s berm a waste of time, money by Walter Pierce
- June 14: The Advocate: Our Views: Sand berms questioned
- June 13: Mobile Press Register: Pipe boom plan at Perdido Pass by Guy Busby
- June 13: Raleigh News & Observer: Prof warns oil spill ‘fixes’ need review by Barbara Barrett
- June 11: NPR: Scientist Warns Sand Berms Won’t Last by NPR Staff
- June 10: Macon County News: WCU coastal scientists respond to the Gulf oil spill crisis
- June 10: Newsweek: Don’t Just ‘Do Something’ by Sharon Begley
- June 8: Minnesota Post: Gulf oil spill: ‘Louisiana’s berm plan bold but full of uncertainty by Peter N. Spotts
- June 8: Scientific American: Slosh and Berm: Building Sand Barriers off Louisiana’s Coast to Hold Back Oil Spill Has Low Probability of Success by David Biello
- June 7: Christian Science Monitor: Gulf oil spill: Louisiana’s berm plan bold but full of uncertainty by Pete Spotts
- June 8: Financial Times: Who knows best about oil spills? by Kate Mackenzie
- June 4: Science Insider: Emergency Oil Spill Response–How Sketchy Is It? by Erik Stokstad
- June 8: Winston-Salem Journal: Perspective on spill enlightening by Scott Sexton
- June 3: Fast Company: The Cast Against Constructing $400 Million Sand Barriers Off the Louisiana Coast by Ariel Schwartz
- May 28: Science Insider: Sand Berm Approved to Fight Oil; Scientists Skeptical by Erik Stokstad
- May 10: Asheville Citizen Times: Tragedy in Gulf underscores need for oversight, alternative fuel
- April 6: Nature: Unarrested development by Mark Schrope
- April: Issues in Science and Technology: An ocean of worry by Martin Lewis
- March 5: Business Week: White House lays out plan to restore Gulf Coast by Cain Burdeau
- March 4: Houston Chronicle: Obama lays out ‘roadmap’ to restore Gulf Coast by Cain Burdeau
- Jan 20: Raleigh News & Observer: Dredging undercuts state jetties study by Lynn Bonner
- Dec 13: San Francisco Chronicle: Bayou islanders resist call to abandon home by Cain Burdeau | Click Here!
- Nov 29: Rising sea levels: A strategy for N.C. by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- Oct 20: The Big Muddy can save coastal Louisiana by Cain Burdeau | Click Here!
- Sept 22: Insurance ratepayers on the hook for major storm by Stuart Watson | Click Here!
- July 21: Wilmington StarNews: Bill for sand-trapping groins passes Senate, gets stuck in House by Gareth McGrath | Click Here!
- June 5: Knoxville News Sentinel: Hike to heath bald offers expansive views by Morgan Simmons | Click Here!
- June 5: Washington Post: Studies Predict Rapid Rise in Sea Levels Along U.S. East Coast by David A. Fahrenthold | Click Here!
- June 4: Asheville Citizen-Times: Base NC’s coastal protection on science, not monied interests | Click Here!
- April 29: Raleigh News & Observer: Push to allow seawalls swells in the Senate | Click Here!
- April 29: Wall Street Journal: For Early Hurricane Forecasts, Consult a Telepath by Carl Bialik | Click Here!
- March 22: Jackson Clarion-Ledger: Corps to offer ‘relocation’ | Click Here!
- March 18: Huston Chronicle: Lack of rain stunts recovery of some vital wetlands damaged by Hurricane Ike’s storm surge by Matthew Tresaugue | Click Here!
- March 9: New York Times: Surfers Deal a Blow to a Beach Dredging Project by Cornelia Dean | Click Here!
- March 3: Surfersvillage Global Surf News: Surfrider defeats Palm Beach Florida beach fill project | Click Here!
- Jan 23: St. Augustine Record: Report shows states most at risk to rising seas by Wade Rawlins | Click Here!
- Jan 23: Silence on the Beach by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- Jan 22: This Old State: Offshore energy panel on the mark by Jack Betts | Click Here!
- Jan 22: Miami Herald: Report identifies states most at risk to rising seas by Wade Rawlins | Click Here!
- Jan 22: Popular Mechanics: 5 Policy Changes Obama Should Make Now: Analysis by James B. Meigs | Click Here!
- Jan 21: Raleigh News and Observer: Rising seas a serious threat to N.C. coast, feds say by Wade Rawlins | Click Here!
- Jan 21: The Charlotte Observer: Report: N.C. among most at risk to rising seas by Wade Rawlins | Click Here!
- Jan/08: Raleigh News & Observer: Scientists see no point to easing seawall ban by Wade Rawlins | Click Here!
- Feb 25/08: USA Today: Beach residents fear loss of homes without barrier by Jordan Schrader | Click Here!
- June/06: USA Today: Hurricane history isn’t worth repeating | Click Here!
- April/06: Raleigh News & Observer: Katrina and Oregon Inlet by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- Nov/05: Raleigh News & Observer: The End Is Near by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- Nov/05: Durham Herald: The Corps and the Shore by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- Sept/03: Durham Herald: Use common sense to manage beaches by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- March/03: Wall Street Journal: On the Cheap | Click Here!
- March/02: Durham Herald: A Bad Day at the Beach | Click Here!
- Dec/01: Myrtle Beach Sun News | Click Here!
- Nov/01: Science on the Shore in South Carolina by Orrin H. Pilkey
- June 17/01: The Washington Post: Army Engineers Hit the Beaches by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- Dec 3/99: Durham Herald: Let’s not repeat New Jersey’s mistakes by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- July/98: Durham Herald: Effort to save Shackleford Island’s horses will only do more harm. by Orrin Pilkey | Click Here!
- Aug/96: Raleigh News & Observer: Respect the ocean; move the lighthouse by Orrin Pilkey and David Bush | Click Here!
Program for the Study of Developed Shorelines
Old Student Union
Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723